Steam engine with Gothic ornamentation by The Novelty Works The Novelty Iron Works of New York, New York manufactured about 1855. 30 foot tall, 50 ton
This engine was built to supply industrial power, deep inside a factory, far from public view. Installed at the Tatham Brothers Lead Works in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1857, the engine drove machinery used to make lead products like pipe and sheet flashing. The machine ceased functioning in 1929.
source: John Bowditch, A Gothic Novelty, The Henry Ford Museum